Sunday, July 24, 2011

VENICE, DAY 2

Thursday was our 4 year anniversary! We spent the first half of the day on the island of Murano, the island where they make hand made blown glass, like this!

We got to watch this guy make vases and a horse. He turned them out so quickly it's no wonder they called him "the master."


The man who translated for us was so excited that Mahlon was military. After we watched the master for about 10 minutes, this guy brought us up to his office, a stash of all his plaques and pictures with military generals and admirals.
Mahlon wanted this eagle statue so bad. It was only €27000.


I got a glass ring! I know you can't see it. It's big and purple.
Meanwhile back in Sicily...

A 30 minute vaporetto ride had us back at our hotel to change and head back to St. Mark's. We made it just in time to get into the basilica. We hadn't spent more than 5 minutes inside before a guard got pushy and started urging us out so they could close. I managed to get Mahlon out before he turned green and grew out of his shirt. It was nice inside and I'm glad I saw it, but we've been in so many big Italian churches now they all start to look the same.

A local theater had a free rock-n-roll art exhibit we thought would be fun...and it was FREE! It was pretty cool, with rock stars self-portraits or rock stars portraits of other rock stars. There were self-portraits done by Jim Morrison, Michael Jackson and Billy Idol. Someone from The Who did a neat one of Elton John. I liked the Slash pic the best.

Since it was our anniversary, Thursday evening we spared no expense, and ate at a beautiful restaurant on the Grand Canal. Here's my view (with the Rialto in the background.)
Here's Mahlon's view.
The food was good but the scenery was what put it over the top. It was so nice.
After dinner Mahlon wanted to book it to Frulala. From day 1 in Venice Mahlon was in love with this fruity place and had to have a smoothie or something every 5 minutes. You can tell by the look on his face he's very serious about Frulala.
We grabbed a sangria and headed off to find an open gondola. Three years ago during our honeymoon in Vegas, we were at the Venetian Hotel and I wanted a gondola ride. They were pretty expensive though. Mahlon said no, but he promised we'd take a real gondola ride in real Venice someday. The real gondolas are much more expensive, so I told Mahlon we didn't have to do it. But he said "Yes we do! I promised!" So we found a pretty gondola on a back alley and hopped in. I sunk down into the comfy cushion and cuddled up with my guy and enjoyed the ride. It was amazing.

Our gondolier, Luca, was very friendly and informative. The pink building up on the right is the hotel Angelina Jolie stayed in for two months while they were filming "The Tourist." She was in the top floor penthouse that costs €14000 per night.My feet on the gondola:

It was the best anniversary ever, and I fell asleep feeling like the luckiest girl in the world!

No comments: