Friday, May 21, 2010

IRELAND DAY 2, KELLS, KILKENNY AND DINGLE

Thursday morning we got up early to prepare for the long haul across the country. We planned to take the scenic route through Kilkenny on our way to the Dingle peninsula, all the way on the West coast of Ireland. First order of business: breakfast!

A traditional Irish breakfast consists of eggs, bacon, toast, sausage, tomato and black and white pudding. We did everything but the pudding. If you don’t know what black and white pudding are made of I’m not going to tell you. Wiki at your own risk. Everything else is delicious and it was pretty much the same breakfast we had every day of the trip.

In Trim we heard about these famous high crosses in Kells, another small town another 30 minutes North. Mahlon’s interest caused an impromptu trip out of our way to see them.





Next stop was for lunch in Kilkenny. It’s a cool little town I’d never had stopped at if Rick Steves hadn’t suggested it. It was very pretty and there were all these great little shops. If there’s a next time I’ll plan a little more time in this town.






Altogether it took about 8 hours to drive to Dingle (the scenic route). We arrived around 8:30pm so there was just time to check into our hotel and go out for dinner. The bed & breakfast where we stayed (Alpine Guest House) was amazing with a beautiful view.





As soon as I walked into this town it was love at first sight! I couldn’t wait ‘til morning so we could go explore!

No comments: