This is our first glimpse of 2 Campo.
Here's the square. We saw some garbage men picking up trash here and we almost took a picture, just so our friends in Sicily and Naples could see it DOES happen in Italy!
Fountain of Joy in 2 Campo:
The color of the brick in this square is where Crayola gets its color, burnt siena.
The tower from the inside!
It was about this time it started raining. We went to a souvenir shop in the square and bought a poncho and wrapped Dexter up really well. He didn't like it and started to get really cranky. From there we hiked across town to the Piazza Duomo, and that's where the pleasant morning went sour.
The temperature dropped rapidly and it stared pouring. Dexter started getting really cold. By the time we reached the beautiful duomo it was freezing.

It started hailing. Dexter started screaming. The wind was blowing so hard. And to make matters worse, Dex wouldn't keep his shoes and socks on. It was horrible. I started running back towards the car, which was all the way across town. I was trying to get back as fast as I could while pushing the stroller and holding the umbrella in front of Dexter. I was freezing and soaking. Meanwhile I kept having to stop and put Dexter's shoes back on and tuck his blanket and poncho around him. He screamed and cried the whole way. I felt so terrible I was crying too.
When we finally got back to the car I stripped him and put on all new dry and warmer clothes. Once he warmed up he was fine. It took me a little longer to recover. I sat back in the car and tried to enjoy the glorious views.


Our next stop was Cortona, another small town recommended by Ricky. It's the setting for the movie, "Under the Tuscan Sun."
Like most of the other towns the driving in town is restricted. So we had to park just outside of town. Here's our view from the parking lot.
First order of business in Cortona was lunch! Ricky recommended this little place, Trattoria La Grotta, and it was fantastic! I had the spinach and ricotta gnocchi.
As we made our way to the duomo I remarked that it was so cold, I couldn't believe it wasn't snowing. Of course, it started snowing. Unfortunately the duomo church was under construction and was all covered up. But here are a couple views from the duomo.
The main square:
Here I am looking over real estate ads like Diane Lane in "Under the Tuscan Sun." We couldn't pass up the gelato shop next door either!
We all loved Cortona. When we finished there we headed for Florence. The lack of sleep started to catch up with me and my head started pounding, and it got worse and worse. I was miserable. We checked into our Florence hotel and Krystal insisted on taking Dexter for a couple hours. I was very grateful. I took out my contacts and laid in the dark. Later we ran into a friend of Krystal's who was also staying at our hotel. She gave me something wonderful that cleared it all up, hooray!
We had dinner with Krystal's friends that night and got a glimpse of the beautiful city at night. It was so clean and there were Christmas lights hanging like blankets over the city streets. After another marvelous dinner (meatballs and mashed potatoes for me) we went back to our hotel. Hotel Casci was another great trip advisor find!
Dexter slept well. What a relief!
No comments:
Post a Comment