Monday, January 18, 2010

FAUST

Shana and I went to the opera last night at the Teatro Massimo Bellini! The theater is named for Vincenzo Bellini, the famous opera composer who was born in Catania. It's the most beautiful theater I've ever seen! The seats were plush and comfy, and even though the seats in front of us were at the same level as ours, we could see just fine. I think we were at least a head taller than everyone else who attended. I feel sorry for the little people behind us!





The opera we saw was Faust, the unpleasant story of a man who sells his soul for knowledge. In the opera version he sells his soul for love. It's a German story made into a French opera which we saw with Italian subtitles. The subtitles didn't help us too much. The scenery was plain and the costumes were awful. It was as if half the cast forgot their costumes that day, so they just performed in what they wore that day. Bummer. Oh but the music was beautiful!

Adding to my entertainment were the other opera-goers...mostly little old ladies (and I do mean little) who came up to my shoulder. They were ALL wearing brown fur coats to the floor! ALL of them! They were all so cute! My favorite had her fur on with a black, sequined hat. I loved them!

Overall it was such a great night! I'm ready to go again anytime. Last night I discovered that La Boheme is coming in October. I'll be there for sure!

No comments: