Wednesday, April 6, 2011

SAVOCA AND TAORMINA

"I apologize if I offended you. I am a stranger in this country. And I meant no disrespect to you, or your daughter. I am an American, hiding in Sicily. My name is Michael Corleone. There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father instead of gaining a husband. I want to meet your daughter with your permission and under the supervision of your family with all respect."

- The Godfather


Monday I finally made the trip I've been waiting for since we moved here. We visited Savoca, where Francis Ford Coppola filmed the scenes in "The Godfather" where Michael meets and marries Apollonia.


It took about an hour and a half to get there. There's one road going in and out of town and it's all sharp turns back and forth up a steep mountain. But the view is amazing.

We drove into town and around the corner and look what we saw! It was so exciting! But we were hungry, and Bar Vitelli didn't have much to eat. So we went across the street to grab lunch and let the little one run around!

Look at that view! The church at the top of the hill is the church where Michael and Apollonia were married. Here's a tribute to Francis Ford Coppola. We walked up the steep hill to the church. We hung out by the church for awhile, taking it all in. Then we made the walk back down the hill, the same walk the wedding party makes in the movie. Dad sitting at the same table as Al Pacino. We couldn't believe we were really there! After Savoca we headed back to my favorite, Taormina, and had dinner at my favorite restaurant. Mom and I did some shopping while dad hung out with Dex. After awhile we let Dexter get out and walk around. Can you find Dexter in this picture? Pigeons. Dexter's favorite thing of the day.

No comments: